SAVORY SIRLOIN & VEGETABLE ROAST
1, 2 lb. Sirloin top roast or strip loin roast (trim off excess fat & dampen offextra liquid)
1 tsp. each Kosher salt, ground black pepper and garlic powder
2 T. Grapeseed oil
5 each Carrots, peeled, chopped into 1 ½ inch pieces
5 each Red potatoes, quartered
3 each Celery stalks, chopped into 1 ½ inch pieces
1 each Yellow onion, quartered then chopped into large pieces
4 cups Beef broth (Swanson works just fine)
2 sprigs Rosemary, fresh, stems removed
2 T. Thyme, fresh, stems removed
- Add all chopped vegetables to the bottom of a crock pot (4 quart works well).
- Add the rosemary and thyme to the vegetables.
- Season sirloin roast with the salt, pepper and garlic powder. Make sure to rub the seasonings over the entire roast.
- Preheat large sauté pan to a medium-high heat. Add the grapeseed oil and swirl to evenly coat
- Place one side of the seasoned roast in the oil. Allow to cook for 5 minutes or until a nice crust
- Turn the sirloin over to the other side and cook another 2 minutes.
- Place roast into the crock pot, over the vegetables, then add the beef broth. The broth should come up ~1/4-1/3 of the sirloin—if not, add more liquid.
- Heat on low for 6 hours or until the beef is medium in the middle or nice and tender. This should make the house smell absolutely delicious!
Serving size: ~6 oz. of sirloin + ~1 cup vegetables + potatoes
12 gm fat / 41 gm protein / 39 gm carb / 6 gm fiber / 760 mg sodium